Sunday, June 1, 2014

don't stop believing

When these Stanley Cup playoffs started back in April, I had little hope for anything spectacular to happen for my LA Kings. I love them dearly, but the Anaheim Ducks and Chicago Blackhawks had dominated them -- and most other teams -- this season and, while you always hope for the best, I didn't want to let myself get too invested.

I felt this was an extremely good strategy once the Kings went down 0-3 to the San Jose Sharks in Round 1.

But then something happened. They did what most thought impossible -- and made history in the process -- by becoming only the 4th team in NHL history to come back from 0-3 to win a playoff series. And this became the new battle cry/hashtag of Kings fans:



Then they did something even more unexpected. They beat the Ducks... again in a hard-fought 7-game series.

And with that win, I started to hope... I got invested. The Kings went up 3-1 against the defending Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks. I couldn't believe it! It seemed too easy. But it didn't stay that way for long. The Kings were one win away from the Stanley Cup Finals ... for 3 games (including a nauseating Game 5 double OT loss). That's how much the Blackhawks refused to go away quietly. They kept fighting. They were winning. And we were once again headed to Game 7. I began to talk myself out of my investment... it would be easier to watch the Kings start golfing if I was mentally prepared in advance.

All day today I was prepared for the worst...  even though the players in tonight's Kings lineup had a combined record of 64-2 in Game 7's. (A factoid of hope :)

I could only half-watch the game today... I busied myself with other things in view of the TV because it was too stressful, too close a game to really pay close attention to. Chicago went up by 2 goals early. The Kings got one goal back. Then "Mr. Game 7," Justin Williams, tied it up. 12 seconds later Chicago scored again. Then the Kings tied it again. Then Chicago went up 4-3. Then, the Kings tied it again, 4-4.

Then there was a 4.2 earthquake in Southern California. I took this as a sign... of what I wasn't sure. But when the game went to sudden death overtime three minutes later, I decided to watch from my kitchen, because that's where I'd been for at least two of the Kings four goals. (Yes, I'm totally superstitious when it comes to the Kings. Anyone who knows me should know this by now.)

While I was in there, pacing about, trying not to care, Mr, Game 7 fed a pass to Alec Martinez, who took a shot from just inside the point. That shot flew over Corey Crawford's shoulder and the game was over. The Kings were taking their second trip to the Stanley Cup Finals in three seasons!



With that shot, the LA Kings became the first team in NHL history to win three Game 7's on the road in order to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals.



I screamed. I rewound the Tivo to watch it again... closely. I started typing a Facebook status update. My phone started going nuts with texts. My brother, the big game jinx, called from the Chili's in Temecula (where he was watching the game before he joins the San Diego Forestry Service tomorrow) to explain they won because he was able to do Jim Beam rally shots at the bar, and they don't carry Jim Beam at Staples Center, which is why they lose when he's there. (Umm... okaaay.)

Then this happened, and like a good Captain, Brownie did NOT touch the Clarence Campbell Bowl, awarded each year to the Western Conference CHAMPIONS! (That's bad luck for those of you who aren't superstitious. I hope the Rangers touched their trophy.)



The Kings need to win four more games to win hockey's holy grail. So now, we start the insanity all over again on Wednesday at 5pm at Staples Center. Game 1 vs. the mostly hated (at least by everyone I know) New York Rangers. It's the NHL's dream Final: New York vs. Los Angeles. And the Kings finally have home ice advantage. Which means the next Game 7 they win will finally be at home. However, if they'd like to win Games 1 and 2 at home, and then one in New York, and then win that 4th game at home in Game 5, that would be totally acceptable.

They can do it, right? We just have to #believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment