Saturday, February 27, 2016

2016 oscar predictions



I've decided I'm going to live blog my random, likely very biased thoughts on tomorrow's 2016 Academy Awards. So check back starting at 5pm PT and keep refreshing this page as I muse on things like how Chris Rock handles #oscarsowhite and how long I have to wait to see Dave Grohl perform.

But before then, I'm posting my predictions so we can see how I do. I have seen all Best Picture nominees and most of the films that generated Acting nominations (except for 45 Years and The Hateful Eight) so I'm not just winging this. (Although in the documentary, short and foreign language categories, I've only seen one film.. so go Amy... which was really sad, btw.)

  • Best Picture: I am still undecided here... as long as it's The Revenant or Spotlight (and NOT The Big Short), I will be happy.
  • Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant ... or all hell will break loose in Hollywood and Kate Winslet might seriously hurt someone.
  • Best Actress: Brie Larson, Room
  • Best Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone, Creed ...because he's old and isn't normally in good movies so this is Hollywood's shot to reward him for all the money he's made them. I still think little Jacob Tremblay from Room was robbed of a nomination here and was WAY better that Sly.
  • Best Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl. Her performance was heartbreaking and amazing. (And not really "supporting" but whatever.)
  • Best Director: Alejandro G. Inarritu, The Revenant. I actually liked the movie he'll win for this year, unlike last year (Birdman). Although I would not be surprised if George Miller sneaks in here for Mad Max: Fury Road, because that movie was crazy amazing!
  • Original Screenplay: Spotlight 
  • Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short (ugh) Although my actual choice would be the beautiful Brooklyn, by Nick Hornby... or The Martian... or Room... or even Carol. Can you tell I did NOT like The Big Short?
  • Best Animated Feature: Inside Out
  • Cinematography: The Revenant.... beautiful
  • Costume Design: Carol
  • Documentary Feature: Amy (and for once, I actually saw one of these)
  • Documentary Short: No real clue, so going with the scariest, most serious looking poster.. A Girl in the River
  • Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Foreign Language Film: Son of Saul, which I have a screener of, but can't watch. It's about a child who dies in the Holocaust and I'm trying to have a happy 2016.
  • Make-up and Hair: Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Original Score: As much as I want John Williams to win for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I fear it's going to be that older guy who scored The Hateful Eight. He just better show up to accept it, cuz I don't want to hear Quentin Tarantino accept on his behalf again. 
  • Original Song: "Til It Happens to You," from The Hunting Ground... because I want to see Lady Gaga accept an Oscar. And her co-writer, the amazing Diane Warren -- who has been nominated eight times and wrote a ton of songs I love -- deserves it!
  • Production Design: This will go to Mad Max: Fury Road, but I wish The Danish Girl would win because that film (about two painters) looked like a painting itself. 
  • Animated Short: No clue.. picking World of Tomorrow or Sanjay's Super Team because I like the names and the posters ;) 
  • Short Film: Shok
  • Sound Editing: I think Mad Max: Fury Road is going to sweep all these techie awards so...
  • Sound Mixing: See above 
  • Visual Effects: Again, Mad Max: Fury Road, because a) see above and b) my friend Paige's husband was part of this effects team. They left LA to go live in Namibia for a year and Paige posted really fun videos of them all riding dune buggies through giant hills of sand in the middle of nowhere :) So I'm biased by association here. Although, I also thought the bear in The Revenant was real... so real I couldn't watch "the scene" with my eyes fully open. So I wouldn't be shocked if that pulls an upset.


No comments:

Post a Comment