Saturday, December 30, 2017

the land of joshua trees and meteor showers

In early August, there was supposed to be an amazing meteor shower over Southern California. But living in the Valley, the land of street lights and strip malls, there's no way I'd ever see it. So a group of friends and I headed out to Joshua Tree to watch the stars from the hilltop home of James and Karen's Uncle Carl. 

The sky was crystal clear and there were some really amazing meteors that night. But you'll just have to take my word for it because I didn't have a telescopic camera and this video from my Instagram story that night is the only photographic proof (or lack thereof) I retained of the night sky ;) 


The next day, however, we went and visited Joshua Tree National Park and I took massive amounts of photos. I'd never been before and being the U2 fan I am, went searching for "the tree" from the iconic album's back cover, knowing full well it's no longer standing. So "I still haven't found what I'm looking for...." but it was a fun ongoing joke, and gave me an excuse to play the album over and over (and over and over) again in the car, because everyone else was dumb enough to let me drive. Mwahahahaha!

Here are photos of the gorgeous desert baking in the hot August sun ....

The JT Adventure Crew (l-r): Uncle Carl, Linda, Daryl, me and James


Is this "the" Joshua tree? Nope..

What about one of these?


I think this one might really be it.... 


 Exploring the desert..
This HAS to be it, right? It's so perfect!


What about this one, perfectly centered between a crack in these rocks?

Field of trees




Then on the way back to LA, we marveled at the wind farms...




And stopped and visited Pee Wee's dinosaurs off the side of the 10 in Cabazon :)

      


No comments:

Post a Comment