Sunday, August 19, 2012

cupcakes and tea parties: two of my favorite things!

For those who don't know, I love cupcakes!

So back in May, when my friend Diana invited me to join her at a cupcake-themed garden party hosted by our friend Daryl's boss, Dame Barbara Hay, at the British Consul-General's residence in Hancock Park -- also known as the house where Prince William and the Duchess formerly-known as Kate Middleton stayed last summer when they visited Los Angeles -- I jumped at the chance! A fancy tea party where I get to wear a fancy hat AND eat cupcakes... hello!


The party was in celebration of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and was being filmed as part of a Cupcake Wars episode that is finally airing tonight at 8pm ET/PT on Food Network. The four contestants, all English bakers, competed prior to the party to have their cupcake creation featured at the party and Dame Barbara had been one of the final judges.

When we arrived at the Residence, the cupcakes were set up in the center of the backyard on a giant tiered table (which I'm told by my Cupcake Wars-afficionado friends, was not one of the show's most impressive displays). All four cupcakes created were present, and I'm still not sure who the actual winner was. Show producers were explaining to people who signed releases to be on camera which cupcake was which, and asking them to taste test. Diana signed up and might be on TV tonight.

I just picked the cupcake that looked yummiest to me... a chocolate cake with pink raspberry frosting and a giant chocolate diamond on top. I also sampled strawberries, tarts and tea cakes, as well as yummy cucumber and egg sandwiches, because this was a tea party after all!



British/American red, white and blue flower arrangements were on each table. And being a friend of the host's right hand man, I got to take one home after the party :) All in all, it was a lovely, very British afternoon.  





No comments:

Post a Comment