Tuesday, January 1, 2013

don't call them resolutions...


... because resolutions usually fail. :)

Instead, every New Year's, I choose to look at what I achieved the year before, the fun I had and new things I experienced. And then I set goals for the coming year that will hopefully become part of my daily existence, rather than some dreaded item on a list I feel guilted into doing. I am happy to say that -- considering many of my goals have carried over year-to-year with little or no tweaks -- I think this tactic is working.

So for 2013, with the overall goal of living a happy, healthy, balanced life where I continue to grow as a good human being, I've set the eight goals below for myself. In addition, I'm also vowing to keep these 12 items, which I found in my Twitter feed this morning, in mind: 12 Powerful Resolutions You Should Make Every Year -- I think they will help a lot with a few of my goals below. 

Health
  1. Physical / Live Healthily: Eat healthy food most of the time, but don't deprive myself. Maintain my goal weight and work out at least two-to-three times per week. 
  2. Emotional / Let Go and Move On: I've spent a lot of time the last few years trying to force things to work that are more harmful to my psyche than helpful. Why? Because I like being hurt and disappointed, or getting stressed out and pissed off? No more. Life is too short. And it should be about enjoying time with the people in your life that selflessly care about you. I've learned who my true friends are, especially over the last few months, and they are where I will focus my free time in 2013. No looking back.
Happiness
  1. For Me / Travel: When meeting with my new investment adviser in November to plan my financial roadmap to retirement, I listed the following as my travel goal -- Actually take my vacation days each year, traveling somewhere domestic and relaxing at least one week per year, with a longer international trip every other year. Since I went to Italy last year, that means that 2013 will include a relaxing domestic trip -- I could visit an island other than the Big Island in Hawaii or head someplace on the mainland with good food and/or spas (like NYC, Santa Fe or New Orleans... or a place closer to home on my "places to visit" list like Carmel or Ojai).
  2. For Others / Help Good CausesOnce again I will lead a team for "Walk MS" in April to raise funds for the National MS Society. This will be super easy since this year there will be a walk in the San Fernando Valley, about three minutes from my house (aka: where I ride my bike around the actual Lake Balboa). I also want to donate my time to a charitable organization or two. It would be great to find a charity that needs my editorial or home improvement skills so I'm also increasing my knowledge as I give. 
Growth
  1. Creative / Write MoreKeep blogging five to 10 times per month. AND (this is the challenge) write a short story.
  2. Intellectual / Read Books: Recycle my goal to read at least one book per quarter in 2013, but this year, one MUST be a classic novel that's been sitting on my bookshelf too long.
  3. Culinary / Host a Dinner PartyIn addition to the annual events I host for major holidays, I want to throw a dinner party where I can use my fancy drinking glasses and linens and cook an actual meal in my kitchen that is new to my limited cooking repertoire (ie: not appetizers, spaghetti or something grilled).
  4. General / Try New Things: Not sure how this will specifically manifest over the coming year and I'm also not going to worry about it. I just know I want to be open to new experiences whether that means trying a new food, visiting a new place or learning a new skill. 
Happy New Year! Here's to a 2013 full of great new adventures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment