Friday, May 29, 2015

murder for two

Had an impromptu night at the theatre tonight when a friend had to work late and I got to be his seat filler for Murder for Two, now in previews at the Geffen Playhouse. 



Going in,  I knew nothing about this musical comedy, starring just two actors, Brett Ryback (who plays a wanna-be police detective) and Jeff Blumenkratz (who plays "The Suspects"... aka every other role in the show!) We ended up with front row seats, which were scary close (and by that I mean on the edge of the stage, where I was praying not to get sprayed with spit as the actors over-enunciated, or with the sweat dripping off Blumenkratz as he seamlessly shifted -- via voice and body language only -- between six [at least] characters under the hot lights).

But even with a little pain in my craned up neck, I loved this show! The whodunit story is good, but it's the performances that seal the experience. Both actors originated their roles in the New York production, so they have perfected the comedic and musical high notes. You'll laugh out loud... a lot! This show is really, really fun. And if you don't trust me, trust comedic legend Jo Anne Worley, who was in our audience and was raving about it in the lobby after the show to "Wicked" Composer Stephen Schwartz, the father of the show's director, Scott Schwartz. I think the two of them could write a book on musical comedy... if they haven't already ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment