Sunday, January 8, 2017

random thoughts on the golden globes

Tonight kicks off Hollywood Awards season with the not-to-be-taken-too-seriously Hollywood Foreign Press Association's Golden Globes. I'll be live blogging the show live tonight with my random thoughts so keep refreshing the page if you care...

For once, I've seen almost all* of the nominated films way in advance of tonight. (Thanks bacterial throat infection that knocked me out for three days before Christmas!) And as I have cut down on TV the last two seasons, I've seen almost none of the nominated TV shows except OJ and Game of Thrones, so that should be interesting.
(*Still need to watch Hacksaw Ridge and I've never heard of Sing Street so...)

I'm making no predictions before the show starts ... other than that La La Land will win Best Musical or Comedy Film, and The People vs. OJ Simpson will win for Best Limited Series.

I am making a disclaimer though: Jimmy Fallon really annoys me lately, so my patience with him will be thin.
  • Okay.. I liked Jimmy's opening number.. pretty clever flip of La La Land's opening number to the red carpet traffic jam. And big star power included in the taped piece (Hi JT!), although I kept waiting for Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone to appear. 
  • Emma Stone and Ryan Reynolds - most beautiful presenting team ever. 
  • Okay, no one from Nocturnal Animals should win anything. Hated that film. Mahershala Ali from Moonlight should have won.
  • Billy Bob Thornton just won Best Actor in a TV Drama over Rami Malik and Matthew Rys for a show I've never heard of. 
  • Gee I wonder if Julia Louis Dreyfus will win Best Actress in a TV Comedy for Veep again?
  • Nope! Yay! Tracee Ellis Ross for Black-ish. I watch that show sometimes.. 
  • I've seen none of the nominated comedies except Mozart in the Jungle. Which reminds me, I still need to watch Season 3 of Mozart in the Jungle. 
  • PEOPLE! The Electric Light Parade is coming back to Disneyland! I'm SO excited (And now I have that song in my head instead of "City of Stars" - yes!)
  • Yeah, Hacksaw Ridge looks too violent. I can't deal with another Saving Private Ryan right now. That's why I haven't watched it yet.
  • I WILL be watching Big Little Lies on HBO because I love Reese Witherspoon, who's now presenting with Nicole Kidman. Reese does the cutest Instagram stories. 
  • Sarah Paulson won for People vs. OJ Simpson. Shocker. I wonder how this compares to her Emmy. (That's sarcasm people.) And she thanked Marcia Clark, instead of OJ like Jimmy Fallon suggested... because she's smart. 
  • Look! The People vs. OJ Simpson won for Best Limited Series. Thank you. Thank you very much. 
  • Bad comedy bit from Sofia Vergara intro-ing Sly Stallone's daughters as Miss Golden Globe.
  • Yes Jimmy. Don't even try to imitate Sting. You will never even come close to succeeding because he is eons cooler, more talented and better looking than you, even though he's 25+ years older than you.
  • Wow. La La Land won for Best Score. I agree with this choice. 
  • Best Original Song. Rooting for JT. Fear that "City of Stars" will win.. then it will be back in my head again. 
  • Dammit! It's not that I don't like "City of Stars." It's lovely. It will also stick in your head forEVER like "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." But the composers were super cute. "This is for musical theatre nerds everywhere!"




Commercial break.. when in Rome... (but it's Prosecco, not Champagne. All the bubbles, no headache!) 







  • Yeah, with the Michael Keaton intro, I'm now officially done with Jimmy Fallon. Wonder how much champagne he's had already tonight...
  • Best Supporting Actress Drama. This is a tough category. Viola was great, but I would have given it to Michelle Williams. She was heartbreaking in Manchester by the Sea.
  • Oh good! The Electric Parade commercial is back! Stick in my head Electric Parade theme, stick in my head!! Get that other thing OUT!
  • Awww. The cute little kid from Lion. He was so good in that movie! If you haven't seen Lion yet, go see it. Such a good, true story! 
  • I really hope this Goldie Hawn bit is a bit....
  • Which Ryan will win Best Actor Musical or Comedy?
  • Gosling! And thank you producers for not playing you know what!
  • If anyone has ever wondered, day-old leftover Spicy Tuna rolls are still good. 
  • Oh Felicity Jones. What are you wearing? This is not a 1960s prom...
  • Best Animated Film...This is between Moana and Zootopia, IMHO. (But I'm rooting for Moana.)
  • BTW, have you all seen this? Mind blown by this today!
  • Kristen Wiig and Steve Carell should be hosting the Golden Globes. 
  • Hmm.. Zootopia. AKA The USA in 2017. 
  • We lost Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds within ONE day, Jimmy. Not "a couple of days." 
  • Nice tribute video though....
  • If you see Manchester by the Sea, be prepared to ball your eyes out. It's really good. But the most heartbreaking movie I've seen in a really long time. You've been warned. 
  • So, anyone watching The Night Manager? Is it binge worthy?
  • New Beauty and the Beast trailer? I'm really excited for that movie. I loved the animated version, and I think Emma Watson is so excellent at everything. 
  • I feel like I should start watching The Crown. And I know I need to start watching Stranger Things. And I will no longer be watching Westworld....
  • TV Series Drama. Come on GOT!! 
  • Okay, I am now finally going to add a Streaming Plan to my Netflix. I hope my wifi can now handle it (although it crashed my Tivo watching Amazon Prime yesterday... but I made it through an entire 6 season re-watch of GOT on HBO Go in June.)
  • Meryl Streep Lifetime Achievement time. 
  • Love you Meryl.. great speech on the (not my) President Elect, the bully, and the role of the press going forward, and the role of all of us to act with empathy. "Take your broken heart. Make it into art" - the dear departed Princess Leia. :*(
  • Best Director - Damien Chazelle for La La Land.... does this make it the Oscar front-runner? (And again, thank you GG producers for playing the opening number song instead of you know what.)
  • There are a lot of actresses with small chests wearing very V-dipped-in-front dresses. Note Amy Schumer had to have a nude panel there on her V-dipped dress holding her girls in... yay for real-sized girls being famous too! 
  • Yay Ben Affleck trimmed his beard from when I saw him before Christmas at a "Live by Night" screening. 
  • So the new Lando Calrissian's show is cleaning up at the Globes this year....
  • Matt Damon is here! If the good Jimmy (Kimmel) was hosting this show instead of annoying Jimmy (Fallon), there'd be a bit here. (Other than his comment on him winning Best Actor Musical or Comedy last year for... The Martian.)
  • Think Emma Stone will win for Best Actress Musical or Comedy??
  • YEP. 
  • Brad Pitt looks GOOD for someone who's rep is being raked over the coals by a crazy anorexic lady. 
  • Okay.. I just have to make it through this win without them playing you know what.. please producers, don't let me down!
  • YES! "Another Day of Sun" again! Oh, and another correct prediction from me. La La Land = Best Musical or Comedy.
  • Um, you have 15 minutes left for like 2 categories. That play off of the La La Land team was just rude!
  • Love Bree Larson's dress!
  • Ooh Viggo got nominated for Captain Fantastic. That was a great movie that no one is talking about! Go see that one too!
  • Wow. They gave Best Actor Drama to Casey Affleck despite his personal controversy... Maybe the HFPA doesn't read US Press. (Casey needs to follow Ben's lead in the facial hair -- and normal hair -- trimming department though.) Despite all that, he was pretty amazing in this film. As I mentioned, it's a heartbreaking film and he was great. 
  • Best Actress Drama -- aka who will compete against Emma Stone for the Oscar -- is....who? Isabelle Huppert? Um.. okay. A foreign film winner? I'm going to assume that Natalie Portman, Ruth Negga and Amy Adams cancelled each other out and she snuck in.  (OH! Or based on her speech, she's really good at kissing the HFPA's asses...)
  • Yay, now I have the Rocky theme in my head.
  • Moonlight is Best Picture Drama..... VERY interesting. I liked it. Didn't love it. Probably need to watch it again now. 
Well, that concludes the show. Can Amy and Tina come back next year please? Kthxbai. 

No comments:

Post a Comment