Thursday, November 22, 2012

gratitude

Gratitude is defined as "the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness."

Today is Thanksgiving, an annual day Americans gather together to eat too much food, watch parades and football (snooze) and spend time with family and friends. It is also a day when we reflect on what we are thankful for.

Looking back, this year has been one of major transition and personal growth for me, more than I can remember in many years. I experienced amazing kindness from both expected and unexpected sources. I saw things I didn't think I'd live long enough to see and visited beautiful places. And I experienced loss, which helped me grow and will quite possibly end up being amazing for my life in the long-run. I feel like a very different, much stronger and more secure person than I did a year ago. And I have much to be thankful for....

My family -- As crazy as we are, I love each and every member of my wacky brood. I am thankful that my mom is coping well with her MS. I am thankful my 82-year-old grandma made it through knee replacement surgery in March and that my aunt and uncle are there to take care of her. I am thankful that my little sister called me all ticked off and ready to kick some ass when I got laid off in September. I am thankful my little brother was there with me to see the Kings get their asses kicked in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals in June, and that my dad was there with me to see them win the Cup in Game 6. I am also thankful that I have parents who support me in good times and bad, that my dad is around to answer my financial questions and my mom is here to help solve all my household plumbing problems. :)

My friends, new and old, who are there to laugh with me when I'm happy, listen to me when I need to vent, and lend a shoulder when I need to cry. I am thankful for those who walked a 5k around the Rose Bowl with me to raise money for MS Research, and all our friends and colleagues who sponsored us. I am thankful for the amazing group who made donations and granted my special birthday wish to an extent I couldn't have imagined. And I am thankful for the friends who pushed, prodded and encouraged me to finally go to Italy, and to those others who helped me plan and prep for the trip, so I could finally see this with my own eyes.








Modern veterinary medicine -- A year ago, I feared I would have to say goodbye to my sweet cat Lucky, when he was diagnosed with renal failure. But thanks to a vet who cared and whatever strength allowed me to overcome my fear of needles and give him IV fluids everyday (+ a mom and two friends who took care of him when I traveled), Lucky's numbers are thisclose to being in normal range again and he's gaining weight and looking like his majestic self again :)








Freedom -- I feel as if a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders two and a half months ago. And I'm thankful that I now have the time and financial security to sit back, reflect and figure out how to make a living doing something that keeps a smile on my face vs. stress in my neck. 

Miracles on Ice -- I still can't quite believe this happened...


... but I'm very thankful I was still alive to see it, and was lucky enough to be in the building as it did. If that was the last NHL game ever played (which is sadly looking like the case, at least for this year), then I have no complaints.

Happy Turkey Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment