Monday, November 26, 2012

the joys of shredding

No, I'm not talking about skating or snowboarding. I'm talking about taking piles of paper and running them through a powerful cross-cut paper shredder so crooks don't steal your identity or financial records.

While a chore to some, I LOVE shredding stuff! And yes, I freely admit that I have a slight case of OCD. However, based on recent finds of not-so-recent paperwork in my home office files ("Why hello tax returns from 1993"), I don't shred nearly enough. But now that I'm sort of caught up, I'm going to be much more diligent about my shredding because...

a) ... it is super-fun to watch piles of paper turn into confetti.

b) ... it's also fun to take a cheap trip down memory lane and discover fun facts. For example, during this last shred-athon, I found my driver's license road test scoring sheet from when I was 17 (where I was marked down for driving too slow -- ha!) and figured out, based on the previously-mentioned tax returns from 1993, that I spent as much on my recent trip to Italy as I made during all of 1993 at my editorial internship at the now-defunct Disney Adventures magazine. I will let you decide whether that means Disney Adventures paid their interns well or I am a very frugal traveler ;)


c) ... I will never run out of paper clips as long as I keep shredding. Here's the colorful paperclip collection I reclaimed during my last shred-fest.


d) ... it gives me a great sense of accomplishment to turn a few piles of paper into three giant bags for the recycling bin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment