Tuesday, November 20, 2012

things i love: crumbs cupcakes

I love cupcakes! And more and more I'm starting to like Crumbs Bake Shop cupcakes. Mainly for three reasons:
  1. They are big (like muffin-sized). You buy one for $4.00 and, as long as you have some semblance of self-control, can get two or three desserts out of it. (For more info on this, ask me about my poker group's long-standing tradition of slivering up desserts into "Barbie Dream Slices.") 
  2. Crumbs usually packs your cupcakes in lovely cupcake containers for safe traveling, ensuring no sprinkles or frosting are misplaced or smushed if you take your cupcake to-go.
  3. They come in fun, ever-updating flavors. Although, there is also a downside to this as sometimes your favorite flavor, like my beloved Cotton Candy Cupcake, is not always available. The upside of that downside, however, is you get to try new flavors, which is exactly what I did recently upon two separate visits to two different Crumbs Bake Shops.

Visit 1: Crumbs @ Hollywood & Highland
Cupcake FlavorGrasshopper


Cupcake Commentary:
I'd been thinking about trying this flavor for a long time, because it looks like one of my fave ice cream flavors, mint chocolate chip. But I always got distracted by my beloved Cotton Candy cupcake. However, H&H did not have my beloved Cotton Candy cupcake, so I went for it. The frosting was indeed mint-chippy. And the cake was very chocolate. Sadly, this cupcake made me realize I don't really love chocolate cake that much. And, double sadly, this shop did not put my cupcake in the cool cupcake to-go container. Boo!

--------------------------------

Visit 2: Crumbs in Larchmont Village
Cupcake FlavorRaspberry Swirl


Cupcake Commentary:
Again, there was no Cotton Candy Cupcake to be seen. I'm now thinking that's just a summer flavor. Boo. Oh well. This time as my flavor experiment, I went back to white cake. Wise choice. This cupcake was delish, with a creamy white frosting and a swirl of raspberry jelly on top, plus -- spoiler alert -- in the middle of the cake. Yummy! This might just be my new go-to to-go cupcake, especially since the Larchmont shop uses proper packing (which also doubles as a storage container for your remaining "Barbie Dream Slices" :)


No comments:

Post a Comment