Friday, April 26, 2013

happy national pretzel day!

April 26th is National Pretzel Day and to celebrate, I'm going to tell you about the best pretzels in the world, Trader Joe's Pretzel Slims.

These are the world's most awesome pretzels because...
  • They are slim, crunchy and slightly salty, so eating them is like eating potato chips, but healthier.
  • They are only 110 calories per serving.
  • A serving is a whopping 23 pretzels!
  • They are delicious by themselves
  • They are also perfect for dipping (which kinda kills the 100 calories/serving thing... oh well!)
  • Some of them have little air bubbles in the pretzel crust you can pop with your teeth (Yes, I know I'm weird. I also bite all the caramel and chocolate off my Twix bars before eating the cookie inside last.)




Other fun (and not-so-fun) pretzel facts in honor of Pretzel Day:
  • The first pretzel was created in 610 A.D. by an Italian monk using up leftover bread dough.
  • Because of its religious roots, the pretzel has long been considered a good-luck symbol.
  • Hard pretzels were "invented" in the late 1600s, when a snoozing apprentice in a Pennsylvania bakery accidentally overbaked his pretzels, creating crunchy, seemingly inedible, knots. (I suppose I somehow have him to thank for my TJ pretzel slims ;) 
  • In 1861, pretzel twisting was the second highest-paying job in the Philadelphia region.
  • The average American eats up to two pounds of pretzels each year.
  • A cinnamon Wetzel's Pretzel has more calories (470) in it than a McDonald's quarter pounder (420). I learned this sad fact when Staples Center started posting calories at all the food stands last season. Said calorie counts have since mysteriously disappeared from the posted menus. Hmmm...

1 comment: