Tuesday, January 24, 2012

the good, the bad and the oscar noms

The Oscar(R) nominations were announced early this morning. My tradition is to record the live announcement on E! at 5:30a.m. and then watch when I wake up. Today's announcements -- viewed on TiVo at approximately 6:40a.m. -- were a little surprising...
  • Good surprise: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close getting nominated for Best Picture! There seems to be a backlash going against this film because of their nomination today though. Apparently people don't think it is worthy. Or feel it was just produced as Oscar-bait that the Academy fell for. Whatever. It is a film with great performances that makes you really feel something. I loved it. 
  • Bad surprise: The Tree of Life was also nominated for Best Picture. This means I now have to watch it. Ugh. Have not heard good things about it from anyone. And my head already hurts from day-to-day work crazy. I don't need my "entertainment" to strain it more. Oh, and btw, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was NOT nominated for Best Picture. (But sadly, that wasn't a surprise.)
  • Good surprise: Hugo -- my fave surprise of screener season -- leads all films with 11 nominations
  • Bad surprise: Cars 2 and Golden Globe + PGA Winner The Adventures of TinTin did not get nominated for Best Animated Feature. Eek. 
The acting categories had a few snubs and a few surprises too, but overall, nothing shocking. And it's not like I'm going to complain about a category of noms that means more live coverage of George Clooney and Brad Pitt in tuxes. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment