Monday, January 16, 2012

hidden gems

So I've just submitted my ballot for the 2011 Producer's Guild Awards. And while I'm not going to say how I voted (although anyone who follows me on Twitter or Facebook knows my #1 and 2 picks after my Golden Globes rant last night), I do want to point out some hidden gems discovered in my screener pile, that I probably wouldn't have watched if I didn't get the movie delivered to my home for free. If you are looking for a good film to watch, see one of these. You won't be disappointed.
  • Hugo -- I watched this because I had to in order to rank it for voting. It was the last movie of the 10 nominees I watched. And this was probably the sweetest surprise of the year. This movie is heartwarming and beautiful to look at. Great performances, even from Sasha Baron Cohen, but especially from Ben Kingsley, Chloe Grace Moretz and Asa Butterfield, who stars as Hugo and has the most sad, expressive blue eyes you'll ever see. This is a great film for anyone who loves stories about underdogs and happy endings.
  • My Week with Marilyn -- Michelle Williams is amazing. That's the story that follows this film everywhere, and don't get me wrong, she is. But so is Eddie Redmayne, who plays Colin, narrates the film and provides its emotional center. This film is a sweet love story between the two of them, layered between the story of Marilyn's week of filming on Sir Lawrence Olivier's The Prince and the Showgirl, and the insecurities that followed her. It's no best picture, but again, a really sweet story.
  • Midnight in Paris -- I usually hate Woody Allen movies, but this didn't feel like a Woody Allen movie. The cast is great and the whimsical storyline, while completely unrealistic, totally appealed to the writer in me searching for inspiration. And I loved that it was set in Paris and had a lovely Parisian soundtrack.
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close -- I would have seen this movie even if I didn't get the screener. I was waiting for this screener. I loved this movie! The cast is amazing and the story -- 9-year-old Oskar's search for the lock that fits a key he found in his father's closet, after his father (portrayed by Tom Hanks) died on September 11th -- is both heartbreaking and life affirming. And Thomas Horn, who plays Oskar, is great. He was discovered on Kids Week of Jeopardy, so you know he's wise beyond his years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment