Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"oh christmas tree, oh christmas tree..."

"... I really should've gotten a bigger version of you." Oh well.....

I get a live tree each year and it's always a gamble trying to find the perfect noble fir that is full enough to not look like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, yet has enough space between branches for my long, dangly ornaments plus enough strong branches for my heavy glass-blown ornaments. This year I went to three places looking for a tree. I found the almost-perfect tree at Home Depot for at least $20 less than the private tree lots charge. But alas, its needles were yellowing and I knew it would be dead at least a week before Christmas. The tree guy looked at me like I was nuts and then sold the tree to a couple who didn't even check for the freshness of the needles. They will be regretting that purchase by December 20th, mark my words. 

Anyhoo, my tree came from the "Oliver Holt Sons and Daughters" private lot I've gone to for at least the last five years that keeps moving farther and farther away from my house. (They used to be in a lot across the street from my grocery store/vet/Starbucks, which is now a gas station. This year they are located near the Northridge mall.) They had a good selection and I picked out a really full, green 5.5 footer and was really happy with my purchase till yesterday when I was decorating it and was running out of space for long, dangly ornaments. Thus, the very bottom of my tree is SO decorated! I'm sure if my cats weren't old and lazy, they'd be having a field day with those ornaments. Instead, they are spending their time figuring out paths through the presents to get under the tree stand and sleep/hide. I thought I'd done a good job blocking them out until five minutes ago when I saw Lily's tail sticking out from under the tree skirt. Oh well... that seems to be a theme with this tree. ;)

Bare tree, pre-lights
Step 1: My least fave part - stringing the lights 
Step 2: Unpacking & hanging ALL of my ornaments (and I have a LOT!)
I think I have enough snowman ornaments now though ;)
(Note: this isn't even all the snowmen!)
Step 3: Add all the presents I wrapped last week.
(Yes, I know you hate me :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment